Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Triple-Cheese Broccoli Puff


I Love broccoli! However, every time I've tried to incorporate it into a vegetarian dish (besides broccoli soup:), it's truly tasted very bland--until this surprise recipe came along---this is really good--it forms a bread crust on the bottom and the sides, and within!! I served this with onion rings and home-made cranberry-orange-walnut bread!!! Dinner was a hit tonight:)
  • 1 cup of chopped water chestnuts (recipe called for mushrooms, which I don't eat:)
  • 3 oz of cream cheese, softened (I used onion and chive)
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup biscuit/baking mix
  • 3 cups steamed/chopped (or frozen) broccoli
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • seasonings of choice
  1. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, eggs, milk, and biscuit mix just until combined. Sir in broccoli, cheeses, water chestnuts, and seasonings of choice.
  2. Pour into a greased round 2-1/2 qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Water chestnuts instead of mushrooms? You ruined it!

I hate water chestnuts and I love mushrooms. Funny, huh?

I might try this. I'm always a little afraid of egg-based recipes, but this might be good. :)

Our Blessed Journey said...

I know, I'm such a weird0-veg head:)
The original recipe suggested sauteing the mushrooms in butter first (and I didn't really put the h20 chestnuts in, but I want to next time for some crunch:)