Thursday, May 14, 2015

TBT---I apologize for the VERY lengthy post, edition....a trip down my musical memory lane

TBT: shout out to all of my band directors, past and present:
Thinking about all of my wonderful band directors over the years...they wouldn't do what they do if they didn't have a true passion for music and people. I'm so very grateful to each and every one of them who have helped to musically and literally shape me into the musician and person I am today. As a student (and adult), you form a bond with your band director, that is unlike any other. They are there for you both musically and personally....and it becomes one of those life time relationships...even the childhood directors (in my case I was fortunate to be able to play in the adult community bands with a couple of my directors or at least stay in touch;)
It's also interesting to note (for me at least) what their main instruments are (to the non musicians, most band directors can play more than one instrument, sometimes all, fairly proficiently). So here's a shout out to all of my band directors, past and present, in order of my playing years! Also grateful to grow up in an area with SO many incredible playing opportunities!
I want to thank each and every band director for giving so selflessly of themselves and for believing in me (especially when I didn't always believe in me) heart emoticon
Mr. Dan Caballero-(oboe?)-my very first clarinet teacher for fifth grade beginner bands
John Whyte-trumpet: 6th grade Continental Marching Band
Joe Bolyard-baritone, Lincoln Junior High
Louis Covelli-oboe- Tremper High Symphonic Band and Blackwatch
Jim Firchow-clarinet- Tremper High Wind Ensemble (and private clarinet teacher) and Blackwatch
Randy Skowronski (I'm sure I butchered the spelling - trumpet and Paul Taylor - baritone-Band of the Black Watch
John Buenic (clarinet) and Frank Germinaro (clarinet)-Kenosha Pops Concert Band - 1987-2001 (summer band, weekly outdoor concerts on the lake front bandshell, which had not been built yet my first year....this band and Racine gave me some decent sight reading skills...I sight read many a concert if I missed rehearsals;)
Dr. Glenn Hayes (oboe) University of Wisconsin Whitewater (college) and although she wasn't directly my band director, his amazing wife, Christine C. Hayes - clarinet (without these two, I very possibly would have let my clarinet go at the end of college)
Dr. Roger Coppenbarger- my college clarinet professor (from what I heard, he retired in SC). I did not major in music, so my lessons were more light-hearted and fun:)
Del Eisch-trombone--Racine Concert Band (1991-2001)
Mark Eichner - trumpet- Parkside Community Band- 1990's
Alex Sabo - trumpet? Wisconsin Ambassadors of Music (aka WAM)...the Europe Tour!
Robert Awe - trumpet? Lakeshore Wind Symphony 2001-2002
Karl Mueller-tuba-Brookfield Civic Band-2001-2010
Jay Huenink-trombone/baritone-New Berlin Community Band (winter) and East Troy Community Band (summer) 2004-2010
Two years off from playing due to lack of community band in my new SC community....I struggled being band less:)
Don Jemella-clarinet LCCB
2012-2014)
Michelle Bennett-sax-LCCB
DK Bennett honestly, not quite sure what he doesn't play grin emoticon -LCCB
Don Jemella Lowcountry Wind Symphony and
Steve Giove (also the Officer in Charge of the Parris Island Marine Band)-percussion - Lowcountry Wind Symphony












No comments: