Monday, December 1, 2008

Trimming the Tree




Christmas decorating has been scaled down since having my girls. When my husband and I were married, we were both in our 30's--my family wanted to throw me a bridal shower, but we really didn't need anything, because we were merging two established households---that's when I came up with the idea of trimming our tree--and received so many beautiful ornaments and decorations. Well, for the next few years, they'll be safely stored. But I found and purchased a few kid friendly ornaments which the girls had a ball with! Notice the bottom third of the tree is decorated (their height limit:) They did a beautiful job and had a great time! We even are in the process of a winter storm that started yesterday at noon, and is finally tapering off today (24 hours later, mostly wind now:)--tis the season, I had the snowblower out this morning already!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Do you have an artificial tree, or is it "live"?

We have a pre-lit artificial tree that we cannot use anymore as it was made in China of lead...stupid, stupid.

We also need all new decorations, as all of ours are glass and need to be stored safely away for a bit, as well. I'm looking forward to picking out some new things, though, that Connor can help handle. I'm not sure that I want to use those little metal ornament hooks to hang them, though. They seem to dangerous for a toddler. Any suggestions on that matter?

Our Blessed Journey said...

You know, the tree is a funny story for us---our first year we were in a beautiful second story Victorian style apartment. We met with a group of family and friends at a dinner/theater to see a Christmas Musical. Then we stopped at a tree farm and picked our very first tree out--a large fat blue spruce--I was so excited to put my beautiful new blown glass ornaments on (TONS!)--and it turns out I'm allergic to the touch of pine! ugghhh. And then after Christmas, we were trying to figure out how to get it back out--so we threw it from our 2nd floor balcony--that was fun! The next year after meeting with the group again at the dinner theater-we stopped at a beautiful shop, and bought this tree:)

Gosh, I really never thought about pre lit trees being lead-infested--that is pathetic--I'm sorry you had to throw a tree out! We like the larger colorful bulbs--they are the l.e.d. lights, so, they burn very little energy. Regarding the ornaments, I still refuse to use anything with hooks, so I found a bunch of the poinsettias that just clip on (to give it some elegance, though I need a lot more), and I also filled in with some sparkly colorful fern shaped things that just twist on==and for the kids, I found a few ornaments that just have strings on instead of the hooks that are made of fabric, etc, instead of glass. Take him with to pick a couple out--I'm sure even just target or a Michaels would have stuff like that. I also found some glittery fruit stuff (that probably could break, but isn't glass), for a bit more elegance, that has string on. I also bought each of the girls mini trees for them to decorate in in their rooms, plus some smaller kid friendly ornaments.