Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread


We've had an oddly cool summer up in our neck of the woods this year. August is usually very hot--but not at all this year. So, I've been in the mood for fall. In addition to my upcoming redecorating project in the dining room, I've been in the mood to bake. (And I must admit, I'm procrasting on tearing down the wallpaper, since that's NOT my favorite thing to do. Luckily there's not a whole lot to do. I'm hoping that large strips will just come down easily:) So, I'm making good use of my procrastination and baking. What flavors speak fall more than cranberry and pumpkin, especially combined. So, enjoy...






  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1-1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 can pumpkin
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup orange juice or water
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9x5 loaf pans.

COMBINE flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil and juice in large mixer bowl; beat til just blended. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stir just til moistened. Fold in cranberries. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans.

BAKE for 60-65 minutes. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.

Makes two loaves.
For three 8x4 loaf pans: bake 55-60 minutes
For six 5x3 mini loaf pans, bake 50-55 minutes.

No comments: