Wednesday, January 6, 2016

keep it natural....keep it fun!




As part of our homeschool day, I asked the girls to write a 1-2 page short story....any topic, their choice. I'm a firm believer, since we have the luxury as homeschoolers, to let skills unfold as naturally as possible. Reading readiness, math readiness, writing readiness, etc.

The writer in mama is ready to help engage their creative writing muses, as they both seem more interested now, than they have been previously. Just like with reading, it is my intention for writing to always be a joy and a pleasure...and it is my hope that this creative process and outpouring will flow naturally for them.

We've done mini writing "exercises" here and there in the past...we started out a few years ago with the girls and I writing short stories together, and the girls illustrating the stories (you know how adorable children's art is!).

Over the last few years we focused more on the "mechanics" of the English language, in conjunction with literature-based teachings. It felt more natural to let the girls spend more time with pleasure reading (and they do spend a LOT of time reading for fun....mission accomplished!). Aside from the obvious, I intentionally used books (mostly of their choice), to be their English Teachers. I have a very vivid awareness of grammar and writing and spelling coming to me quite naturally, because of the magic of books; it was so easy for me, it sometimes felt like I was cheating in my English classes:)

Further, when my daughters do write creatively, I spend very little time correcting their grammar and punctuation because I do not want to disrupt the creative process! Like with math, when their numbers used to be written backwards, I chose to ignore that and focus on the content. And yes, it really did work itself out. I trust the same thing will happen with their writing. I do teach grammar, etc, but I will not correct their grammar in their stories. (Not yet anyway). I'm just thrilled that Katie is (finally) finding joy in writing stories, as it took awhile...she wasn't ready. I'm certain this had nothing to do with the stories not flowing, but more to do with the physical readiness of handwriting or keyboarding.

(Writing has come very naturally for Karina, and her English grammar and spelling skills are at a high school level...because she is an avid reader ...I majored in English and I can't tell you how many times I've been consulting her for spelling questions since she was nine:)

Anyway, my younger daughter created a mini book, with the intention of a short story series, as this will be continued. It's called "Think Before You Speak." There are almost no periods or paragraphs, but I have to tell you, the story is very imaginative, engaging, and well-written! It involves two sisters, the older eating ALL the food in the family, not sharing with the younger sister, who basically is melting away. And then, bam, younger sister wonders what life would be like without older sister, and instant manifestation...older sister vanishes in thin air....and because the parents don't have to spend so much Money on food now, the family is living large, In a mansion:)

(Hmmmm, stream of consciousness; sister themes;)

And the illustrations are so cute!

I'm looking forward to the next story in her new series:)

I'm sorry for the long post; I guess I just wrote my own little short story too 🤓

The End:)

No comments: