Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pooooooor Buddy:(



My poor Buddy, doesn't he look just pathetic:( Here's the story: three weeks ago Buddy was fine and very playful in the morning. Later I saw him, and he was obviously hurt. I got really nervous because his tail was between his legs, his hind legs were shaking and he could hardly walk. He was obviously in pain. The scary part with his legs is, that between the ages of one and two, he had very expensive and extensive orthopedic knee surgeries (two separate ones) in his rear knees. This involved some bone reconstruction and pins for a genetic defect. If we hadn't gone through with that, he'd either be severely crippled today, or not with us any longer. Anyway, that Saturday when he was hurt and could barely walk, I noticed his head was bleeding a bit too. We were trying to figure out what happened--I knew my 3 year old fairy girl threw a big wheel down the stairs, but she says he wasn't down there. Then it dawned on me! My husband was in the basement, I thought he was in the workshop, but he was in our office/guest bedroom. He didn't notice Buddy was in there too. For anyone who's been a guest in our home, you know that the bed we have is an antique four poster bed, that is really high. In fact, it's not safe for the kids or for Buddy, and probably not for our guests, being so far off the ground:) Well, the girls had made a huge mess on the floor with mostly bedding items, so I had piled it on the bed. We figured Buddy couldn't get up on the side with all the stuff, so he tried to get up on the side with barely any room for him to jump, very close to a wall and a cedar chest, and he didn't make it and fell off the bed (in fact there's blood on the bed, so I know that's what happened). Boy did I feel like pond scum. I know I watch for him when I'm in here, but I didn't think about my husband not noticing. So, he must have been down there awhile because we didn't know he was hurt, and somehow dragged himself up the stairs. We called the vet, because he could barely walk, and wouldn't eat, but they were closed, and suggested we try the emergency vet. We decided to wait it out (since emergency costs are the same a few hours later anyway). I sat with him all day, and all night--and thank goodness, he was walking normally and perky the next day, and back to himself. And he ate, so that's a great indicator he was feeling well. But, his half dime size cut on his head never looked great, but we didn't take him in because it had scabbed over. Well, this morning, it must have been itching, and he scratched it so badly it looked terrible--in fact our bedroom had blood splattered all over the walls! Since it had stopped bleeding, my husband brought poor Buddy to a pet store with him to buy this collar (and some anti itch spray). This is the second time in his life he's had to endure this (first time when he was one and had the second surgery, so he wouldn't remove his stitches--he was bumping into everything, it was hilarious, and looked so sad with it on:) This time around, he's being a really good sport about it---so, here are the nicknames we came up with years ago for this scenario:
LAMPSHADE HEAD
SATELLITE DISH
BOWL BOY
Pooooooooor Buddy:) We're just grateful he wasn't seriously hurt. And, BTW, the antique furniture set is finally for sale---it's just not safe to have around (antique isn't my style anyway:)

No comments: