Friday, February 6, 2009

Orange Cranberry Bread

I made this recipe yesterday to go with some broccoli-zucchini soup I made yesterday----dinner was a hit:) I have loads of cranberries to use up that my parents gave to us before they left to Florida (they live in Cranberry land when they're in northern WI for the summers). This recipe makes two loaf pans of bread. I opted to do the second batch in mini muffins in anticipation of my great nephew's visit!! (his batch was done without nuts, as he's a little guy:). I like this as there is an apple in here too. So they are in the freezer waiting for you:) I can't wait for his visit (oh, and his parents too:) so we can convert him from Buckeye to Badger, tee hee:)

Here's the recipe:

  • 2-3/4 cups flour
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 3-1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 3 Tbsp. oil
  • 2-3 tsp grated orange peel
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped cranberries
  • 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
  • optional, add in one cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk the egg, milk, orange juice, oil and orange peel; stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in the cranberries and apple.

Pour into two greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45-55 minutes.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Yum! Connor can't wait!