Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I confess....I do NOT give my children spelling "tests."

Period. 

 I personally despised spelling tests in my school days (even though I did well on them). I never understood the point, for the very reasons mentioned in this article. This is how my children are learning to spell...they read....and they read a LOT! And guess what books are comprised of? words...even "spelling" words. I would venture to say that my 10 year old is an extraordinarily strong speller....possibly even stronger than her mom (who is an English Major:), and I sincerely mean that. Spelling words correctly may not come quite as naturally for my 8 year old (yet), but guess what? She recognizes when something doesn't look right, and she asks questions or looks it up herself, to verify the spelling.

So, there you have it folks, I do not, and have no intentions of ever giving my children "spelling tests" (or vocabulary tests, and again, as my girls are reading or as we are conversing, or if they hear a word on tv, (you get my point, words are always available to learn and grow from in a very natural setting;), if they don't know the meaning of something....they ask...and then they remember, because it holds meaning for them).

Now, this may change as they get older, and we get into more science, etc....."scientific" words may not come quite as naturally.....but we'll certainly make it as natural and interesting and fun as possible!)

The End:) 


here's a homeschool article that triggered my post (in addition to a parent's recent post about how his son is struggling with spelling in school): 

http://theconversation.com/why-some-kids-cant-spell-and-why-spelling-tests-wont-help-20497

No comments: