Thursday, March 6, 2014

Green Onion Cornbread

low carb cornbread
Every once in a while I find low-carb substitutes that are nearly identical to staples I once thought I’d never really enjoy again. Almond flour cornbread is one of those things. Not only does it keep you from eating genetically modified, sugary corn flour, but it is high in protein and Vitamin E and promotes HDL, the good cholesterol.
I’d tried a recipe for standard low-carb cornbread before, and while it tasted just like the real thing, it was still a bit too dry for my liking. Enter my green onion cornbread; it still tastes just like the real thing, but now it’s moister and has a bit of onion kick that makes it stand out from the bunch. It’s great for weekend BBQs (put it in a cast iron skillet and you can cook it on the grill), and it makes eight single-carb servings.
low carb flour
Ingredients
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 1-2 green onions, chopped
  • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a bowl, mix together wet ingredients and green onions, then add dry ingredients and mix again.
Pour into greased baking dish (I use an 8″ square pan), then bake for 20 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
Tip: If you’re short on time or patience, you can bake this in a microwave in 5-6 minutes.
Serve warm.

No comments: