Friday, August 29, 2014

Soap Nut Laundry Soap



So I just haven't been happy with the laundry soap that I've been making since 2008....I haven't been happy with it since moving to South Carolina.  I'm going to presume water conditions, etc have affected the formula.  That said, I put the call out, and my mom answered, and I can't believe how wonderful and easy this laundry soap is to make!  And, it leaves clothing OH so soft (and clean too;).

The Recipe: 

12 soap nuts
8 cups of water
1 tbsp salt (preservative, these ARE real nuts:)
1/4 cup borax

Boil/simmer the soap nuts in 8 cups of water for 30 minutes.
When cooled a bit, add borax and salt.

If the water needs a boost (alkaline water, add vinegar if necessary in the rinse cycle) 

remove soap nuts and it is ready!

Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of laundry soap per load.

 Add desired essential oil drops on a per load basis if desired.


***note: keep dried soap nuts and use for things like home made bug spray base, or fertilizer for garden, potted plants (can't be reused for laundry soap)

ALSO: instead of dryer sheets, I now use Lambswool balls!

No comments: