Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Loaded Baked Potato Soup

My little 15 month old great nephew inspired me to come up with a recipe. If I may say so myself, this turned out pretty darned good!!!!

My Loaded Baked Potato Soup:

  • Several baking potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup of milk (part cream if desired)
  • 2 T. butter
  • 2 T. flour
  • 2 handsful of cheddar or mont-jack cheese
  • ¾ cup of sour cream
  • Salt and pepper and paprika to taste
  • roasted garlic, to taste
  • Dijon mustard to taste
  • Crumbled (vegetarian Morningstar) bacon
  • Finely chopped green onions
  • Home-made or really good quality croutons
  • Grated Romano cheese

---In a large soup pan, simmer the potatoes in lightly salted water (to cover), with loose lid for about 15 minutes, til tender. Remove from heat and mash with a potato masher in water; put into separate bowl. Rinse out the soup pot, then heat butter till melted, and whisk in flour; slowly add in milk until thickened constantly using wire whisk. Bring to slight boil to thicken, then lower heat back to medium and add in potatoes, cheese, sour cream, Dijon, and roasted garlic—add seasonings to taste. Add in chopped green onions. Serve, top with crumbled bacon, croutons, and grated Romano cheese. Serve with fresh warm good quality bread (we like roasted garlic bread, either via the bread maker or the bakery). Mmmm, enjoy



2 comments:

Julie said...

I actually just had some of leftover Baked Potato Soup that I recently made today for lunch...

Thanks for posting your recipe...I'm going to have to try the dijon mustard in mine...I hadn't thought of that ingredient!

Our Blessed Journey said...

The girls and I had that for lunch today too! Funny, yesterday they loved it for dinner, today they don't like it!