Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Church of the Cross











The girls and I took a little road trip just south of us and discovered this cool old church! It is called The Church of the Cross, and it was consecrated in 1857. In 1863, federal troops marched into Bluffton, and proceeded to burn down much of the town, but they were thankfully ordered to spare this beautiful church. Other than repairs following damage during a hurricane in 1898, the church remains largely in its original state. The church currently boasts a modest congregation membership of 500; it seats 400 comfortably. A second, "new" church was built in Bluffton, along with a school.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I guess I know where to find you guys on Sunday morning! :)

Debbie said...

What a beautiful building. I love old churches. I always think of all the prayers that have been said over the years in those buildings. If the walls could talk!