Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sand Sculpting Contest


We got up bright and early to head to Hunting Island for a sand sculpting contest today (wanted to make sure we didn't have an issue with parking). We brought breakfast (donut holes:D) and we brought lunch (black olive hummus, sesame sticks, cheese, and juices).


Jumping ahead a little, just giving you a sneak peak of some of the sculptures--I love this one!


I thought my dad would get a kick out of this one!

And in case you haven't caught it from past blog entries, I have a daughter who's obsessed with mermaids, especially in 2009. No, this is not hers.


So, here my girls are, anxiously awaiting for the judges to announce that the sculptors may commence. My girls are in the Sand Flea category--ages 8 and under, parents' help is optional. We opted to let the girls make their own creations. I feel very strongly that any art projects and creativity should be their own achievements.


Little Angel, hard at work!


Fairy Girl, making very important water runs. (I should note, they took a couple of well-deserved breaks to jump the waves:)


And here they are, their masterpiece complete!!! They created an entire village, all in the course of about 2 hours! So many very nice grownups came up to them and talked to them about their village and paid them lots of wonderful compliments! The only issue I had was the group next to us--a mix of teens and adults, they kept stepping into my girls' grid not paying attention. At least four times they stepped on some of my girls' works. I had to talk to them twice about it! And these were the grownups! They weren't being mean, they just were so involved in their own project they weren't paying attention (and the grids were roped off). So, I made the decision that if they upset my four year old one more time, I was going to cave in their mote (from our side of course:)

And here are my girls receiving their prizes for their age division--they won second place!! And they were the only kids to have no adult help out of all the contestents--it was obvious people all over the beach loved that and told them how good their village was. I was so happy for my girls, they had a wonderful time!!!








No comments: