Sunday, May 5, 2013

We *NEED* an International Clarinet Day!!!!

So, I confess I was a bit envious that the tubas have a special international day of recognition...first Friday of May. So I hit the net; there MUST be a day in honor of clarinet...there must!!!! And the only thing I found was this quote from John Philip Sousa: "because of its dubious intonation...the Eb clarinet should only be played on February 29th...and then, very softly." :(

(*please note: for those who don't know, the Eb clarinet is smaller in stature and higher in pitch than the traditional Bb clarinet.  By nature, most Eb clarinets are tremendously difficult to play in tune consistently.....given this, the Eb clarinet is not the most "popular" instrument in the band....and yes, I DO double on the Eb clarinet :D*)

No comments: