Monday, November 1, 2010

Oatland Wildlife Nature Park and A Night on the Town--Savanna

We went to Oatland Island Wildlife Center in Savannah for their annual Halloween night-time hike.  This hike was geared towards young children, with characters set all along the path.  Though my girls had a goodtime, I'd say we got here about 2-3 years too late:)  Once again, I can feel that my girls are definitely past the toddler days, and are truly school-age:)  




We were hungry, so we decided to have a "night on the town" in downtown Savannah, marketplace area.  They close off some of the streets for some night-time fun!  We had pizza, sitting outdoors.  The confectionary shop was open, so we hit that----why, being so close to Halloween?  Because it WAS 9:30 at night, those doors were wide open--and those scents just lure you right in, and that free praline is RIGHT there!  So, I got my praline, and my girls finally got their cotton candy for the first time ever (they were begging me at the Circleville Pumpkin show, but the bags they sell are HUGE---one of our friends, KH, felt sorry for them, and bought a huge bag and let us take a sample out for the girls (turns out KH LOVES cotton candy---so we're glad it wasn't too great a sacrafice for her:)  We then walked around a bit, watching all the drunken skate-boarding, break-dancing bananas, Little Bo-Peeps, Vampires, supergirls, Pirates, etc....Then we came upon The Cinnamon Bear.  This is a crafty kind of shop with a location in Hilton Head and a location in Savannah--this shop was on my "to do" list---and THERE IT WAS!  However, it was 10 pm at that point, so the lights were off--but it wouldn't hurt to window shop, would it?  As I was peeking inside, Fairy Girl happened to lean on the door (you can come in from the back or the front, this was the back)--oh, and it was WIDE open!  I happened to see a police car, and one VERY stressful looking police officer (remember, a LOT of drunks that night, being Halloween weekend--and no, we didn't hang out too long)---and I resisted my temptation to go inside to "windowshop" and did my civic duty, and reported this to the police officer--he looked even more stressed, not even a "thank yewww maam"--but I'm sure he was grateful and preferred dealing with that over an easy robbery.  AND, that means there will be merchandise left when I can go back sometime during normal business hours!



A GREAT time was had by all!

No comments: