Saturday, June 8, 2013

Same Beach, different day...BUT we witnessed a giant sea turtle lay her eggs!!!!!!!!

We got a late start, getting out to the beach today.  And boy am I grateful!  Two weeks ago, we took a field trip with the homeschoolers to visit the Georgia Sea Turtle Center on Jekyll Island.  I honestly thought that would be the only time I'd ever see these giant beautiful creatures.  WRONG.  

I was sitting on my beach chair, when I saw this big round (what I thought was trash or something...but REALLY big trash) roundish movement in the water.....

It turns out, she (the giant sea turtle) had stepped on Little Angel's foot, while still under water, and surfaced RIGHT next to Fairy girl!!!  We watched her come to shore, stand there, and just look around for awhile.  I'm not sure if she was looking for her spot, or timid because there were about 50 of us on the beach.  This was about 8 pm....we started taking pictured, when I realized she really needed her space....myself and another women had encouraged everyone to stop using flashes and to leave give her a lot of room.  At that point, I realized she was headed right where we had our beach stuff.  So, I went up and grabbed it, and sure enough, this beautiful girl dropped her eggs, right behind where I had my chair!  We then watched her bury the eggs and stand there.  I've heard it happens very quickly, and then they return back to the water...but I'm guessing with everyone standing there, she was feeling timid about moving through the crowd again.  

Fact, sea turtles travel a VERY long distance (thousands of miles) to lay their eggs in the exact spot where they were born!

What we witnessed this evening, was a VERY rare and extraordinary experience!!!!!  What a gift!!!  

Feeling VERY blessed!












No comments: