Friday, June 7, 2013

Tropical Storm Andrea and the Frogs

So, we had our first named storm of the season...Tropical Storm Andrea...came up from the gulf, making land fall in Cedar Key, Florida (an ADORABLE sea side town, where J and I spent a night, in a room that is OVER the gulf!).  Of course storms are very unpredictable, so I know the powers to be want people to be ready for anything.  So, I was...I folded my chairs down, brought my cusions in, and took down all of my windchimes  (guess what, NO wind...I did that for the last couple of hurricanes, and it worked like a charm;)  So, I just went out to hang my wind chimes back up, and the wind literally picked up so they could sing:)

Anyway, there was a lot of rain...which I'm sure is expected in tropical storms (I still say, tropical storm warnings sound WAY more cool then blizzard warnings;).  But, J and I were sitting under our covered front porch...it had stopped here (raining all around us according to the radar though)....and we were enjoying the frogs!  Andrea brought out the best in the Carolina frogs; and wow, what a symphony!  There were a couple of tree frogs in the "pond" garden on my front porch going at it, too.  I just love the frogs.

And apparently they love me:D

Since the rain had stopped, I Piper and I got a quick walk in, enjoying the frogs, and toads hopping around; trying VERY hard not to step on them; enjoying the symphony of a huge variety of frogs.  I love when the rains stop, just so I can hear the happy chorus of frogs!  Later, I decided I should try to let him out, in case it rains again (Pipers don't like going out in the rain;)

When ... in hops this guy...he was fast and cute and VERY difficult to catch (notice all the Piper hair stuck to him;):

I decided to release him on he front porch.  And later I went out to check on him to make sure he had left.  And as I was walking in, I felt the cool slippery something beneath my foot (thankfully I hadn't stepped down all the way, and glad I wasn't wearing shoes!!).  I looked down and a baby toad was blending in with my welcome mat....I shook him off:

and when I checked on him later, not only was he back on the welcome mat, but, but he had a friend.  And they were clearly headed in my house:)  So, I moved the welcome mat off to the side, to save the toads' lives and all:)

And then, on my patio, here was another green tree frog guy....this time I learned and did NOT open the patio door (and I check before opening the door now:)



I mean, how often do you get to see the bottom of a frog...we do, all the time:) 

The End
p.s., don't they have the cutest little butts!!! ;)

No comments: