Friday, July 19, 2013

It's Friday Funday!

and the last day of their six weeks of swimming lessons (we didn't go today, rainy off and on, and Little Angel REALLY didn't want to go...they definitely benefitted from the group lessons; but it appears both the girls would benefit more if they had private lessons....they both are having difficulties applying, coordinating, and remembering all the steps they hear.....(put your head down, three strokes, head to one side, breathe, three strokes, head to other side, breathe....etc).  They (she) were having fun for most of it, then I think it became work....especially for Little Angel (I had moved Fairy girl back down to advanced beginner where she got more attention, and did better).....but the intermediate advanced class was large, and the swim coach just didn't have time to repeatedly correct each child's techniques.  On Wednesday, I kept hearing the coach tell her to put her head down (and at one point, he did call the head coach to jump in the water with her for some individual attention), repeatedly (and I could see he was getting frustrated)....then the last two days she kept saying she wants to not go today...I wouldn't give in until she gave me details,   (not just, I don't want to go).....and today she finally explained it.  She said she really thought her head was down...and that she kept swallowing water trying to do what they said, and it made her throat hurt.  The whole point is to be safe in the water and learn and improve and have fun (and of course they are trying to train them, and recruit for the swim team)...but MY whole reason is water safety ....we live and breathe water around here, and I NEED my girls to have strong swimming skills, and not be frustated or afraid...and of course RESPECT of the water!

So, that's the story.  I don't regret that we took the lessons...I think they definitely benefitted.  Fairy Girl is not as strong as a swimmer as Little Angel....she definitely tires faster...but we'll get there...we have to.  So, next summer I will speak with Coach Cathy and see if she can give us a list of folk who offer private lessons.

And here we are, back to Friday Funday....we seem to venture to Cracker Barrel a lot as of late:)  1. it's been raining  2.  we needed to buy a bday present for an upcoming bday party (seriously, GREAT place to find gifts).  3.  Helps me to envision the day my parents have both their homes sold and are settled in Sun City, and they drive their golf cart over and meet us at Cracker Barrel or Jack Frost for a cone;) 

No comments: