Thursday, September 19, 2013

Savannah Wildlife Refuge Homeschool Field Trip

this was a fantastic field trip.   We've been here before, but we mostly drove through the refuge.  It's called the Savannah Wildlife Refuge, but we go to an area of it that is actually in South Carolina....at least the office is, I'm not sure if the refuge drive is in GA or SC?  It's pretty darn close:)

Today we met up with some homeschoolers and spent quite a bit of time in their headquarters office, which is quite beautiful!   It was opened in 2010, the year we moved down! They offer many programs for school-aged groups, but they also offer a Junior Refuge Manager badge, which you have to earn.....and my girls really worked hard to earn their badges today!   (They even took a pledge with the Park Ranger!)  My girls actually requested that we split up with the group, when they left to drive through the refuge, so they could concentrate on researching and answering the questions in their books.  After they completed the "office" portion of their books, we then headed over to the refuge, driving and making lots of stops to observe.  We had a wonderful day, the girls worked hard and had a blast, and I even managed to sneak in some birthday gifts for Fairy Girl (because shamefully, her birthday is three days away and I've got nothin' :O)

Here are some highlights from today's adventure:
















a GREAT day was had by all (and somehow I even managed to sell a bracelet in my Etsy shop while I was having all this fun;).  I highly recommend a visit to this beautiful refuge and their new facility; they have a LOT to offer!

No comments: