Monday, September 21, 2009

Brightonwoods Apple Orchard and Winery








We had a wonderful day yesterday visiting an apple orchard. I chose this particular one because they have a neat looking tree house; and boy was it nice! You climb up very safe steps to get to the tree house--it can house adults and children alike. It's equipped with a child table and chairs, a little kitchenette, some pots, pans, spoons and bowls (just old kitchen stuff!), dress up hats, etc. What a dream for a child (and adult:). And then, if that's not enough, there's another set of steps and you can climb into the attic of the tree house! The orchard was also quite beautiful. We saw the apple press and had a presentation at the winery. We had a bit of lunch outside, as the weather was perfect (fall) temperatures, though yesterday was technically summer:). We then headed back to the tree house and hit the Piper Farm stand (good name, eh:). We talked to the farmer for over an HOUR! His 100 acre farm, run completely by him and his dad is now mostly sold off (sadly a lot of subdivisions, etc)--and down to 12 acres. But what he's been able to do with a much smaller farm is spectacular--he's changed it into a completely organic farm. He showed us wonderful pictures of his farm and explained a lot to us. He's technically not certified organic yet, but is a 3 year very long and detailed process---but his practices are 100% organic! It was a wonderful education; it's very clear how much he cares! All and all we had a wonderful, easy-going getaway--and of course we bought some apples and apple goodies too:)

2 comments:

Meg said...

Fall is my favorite time of the year and I can't wait to get the girls out to the orchards and local farms! We're still on vacation in MD and I hit a farmers' market on Saturday--one of the local organic farms was there with *zillions* of great apple varieties. My favorites were the True Mystery apples. They started as a sucker shoot on one of the trees, but grew fruit that doesn't match ANYTHING on their farm! Some kind of super cool hybrid.

Our Blessed Journey said...

It's very much my favorite time of the year too (so much so, I just applied my first coat of harvest orange paint to my dining room:)! I really need to get us to your neck of the woods so we can hit the Circleville Fest with all of you one of these years:) In two weeks we'll go to the Giant Pumpkin Fest up by my parents'.

I just reread what I wrote, it was misleading--there was a farmer who came to the apple farm with his organic veggies--wide variety too---I'm not positive the apples are organic-I've heard they are very difficult to grow organically in WI. The farm you hit sounds really neat--along with the "newborn" variety. (I liked the pic of your girls in the window--cute!)

Have a fun and safe trip--haven't heard from Julie--I'm thinking he's going to share a bday with his cuz (my 3 yr old turns four tomorrow).