Sunday, August 1, 2010

It's Wedding Week: 10 yr Anniversary is Coming---My Bridal Shower


My mom and my grandparents, at my bridal shower.


J proposed to me on January 31st, 2000--I arrived to Michigan, we immediately went ring shopping. That's the same day his mother passed away. His "formal" proposal came to me the next day at Ottawa State Park on our way to go be with his family in Ohio (I got the first flight from Wisconsin to Michigan when he called me with the very sad news). It was very hard for him, because his mom and sisters were pushing for the proposal, and the first thing he said to me was, "I never got to tell my mom I was going to propose." I know she was with us:) Mostly because of J's mother's passing, we were trying to keep things very simple, stress-free as possible, and low-key. Not everybody understood that, but it's what J and I needed and desired. If it hadn't been for my grandparents REALLY wanting to attend our wedding (and it was out of town in Lake Geneva, so it was a REALLY big deal for my mostly housebound grandmother to make that trip, and of all the grandkids, who were married in our hometown, mine was the only one she was able to attend, so I am so glad we married locally, for them!!); we both would have chosen a very small destination wedding/honeymoon--probably Hawaii. We'll do something cool like that for one of our anniversaries in the next few years--maybe our 15 year:)

My bridal shower was held at The Fireside, June of 2000. We still kept the wedding guest list to the closest of family and friends---mostly family. Being very spiritual, I sort of had my own personal theme in mind: "May the music of the Angels light up your life." The statement speaks volumes about me, for those who truly know me:) Regarding the shower, I didn't really plan on a shower, as we didn't need the stuff--but my family really wanted to throw me one--so I came up with "trim our tree!! The shower was very beautiful, I think the theme was well-received! And we have some VERY beautiful Christmas ornaments (ok, they've been in storage since having kids, because of all the blown glass--but I'm looking forward to seeing them again someday; it'll be like, well CHRISTMAS!!



Please stay tuned over the next few days as I reminisce over our 10 year anniversary!


p.s. a big thank you to my very pregnant awesome photographer--you will see some of her handiwork:) (this means her baby girl will be 10 this year too:)

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Happy HAPPY Anniversary!