Monday, August 9, 2010

Our Errands Turned into a Field Trip!



Add caption

All these little holes, crab houses



We didn't really have any particular plans today. We started out the morning swimming in our pool. In the morning we have shade, but once mid-afternoon hits, it's intense sun, so I like to get the girls out of the pool. I thought it would be a good day to take our first trip to the recycling center (they're a few months away from recycling pickups here). I had tons and tons and tons of packing paper--a few unusable cardboard boxes, and the typical recycling stuff. The place was pretty--gives Rome's "dump" a little competition:) (that was for my mom:) Following, we hit the Farmer's market; always a pleasure to buy fresh fruits and veggies, right off the farm! And finally, I thought we'd head to the end of the road to Hunting Island State Park to take a walk across the marshes on the wooden walk ways. Little did I know that our visit would turn into a field trip!
We arrived about ten to four, at the same time as a couple of men. We started chatting; they were there to lead a program (they were volunteers from the state park). We had a very nice education about the salt marshes! They are everywhere around here---and quite frankly, during low tide--I never had mush appreciation for what looks kind of "blah"--as it turns out, these salt marshes are very rich and complex ecosystems! The little "holes" you see in the mud, are the homes for all the varieties of fiddler crabs--and these little guys are everywhere. We also saw an old coon, who feastes on these guys--he obviously is never short on meals:)
The educator, Mr. David, addressed my girls directly often--although it was mostly adults, he made a special point of gearing the talk to my girls--I thought that was very thoughtful! I was proud of my northwoods turn southern belles. The first question he asked them was, if they knew what causes the tides (and the tides are very significant here). Angel girl thought for a moment and said, "the moon!!" Then he was talking about some of the trees (mostly live oaks and a type of pine, and palmettos)--he again looked at my girls and asked if they knew what the "hairy" stuff on the live oaks was---they thought and thought, and Fairy Girl said, "it has bugs:)"--then he gave them a hint, "Spanish....."--and Fairy Girl said, "moss!" Regarding the bugs/ chiggers--we were informed, that they aren't loaded with bugs in the trees, not til they hit the ground, does that happen.
Our evening ended with a stop for some icecream. And then I fired up the grill so J could come home to a cookout and pool party!!
Live is good:)




No comments: