Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Day of Firsts

One of my friends on Facebook posted this today:
Wants to know when was the last time you did something for the first time? Seems like a lot of people get stuck in a rut and forget that there are "first time" experiences out there to enjoy. We aren't guaranteed that tomorrow will come; each day we live is a gift. Live your life as if today is your last and experience something new EVERY DAY!!!
Ok, I honestly wasn't going to respond to this, as there probably haven't been many recent firsts--but, true to the Law of Attraction, my day of firsts hit, today:
We went kayaking tonight--a VERY spontaneous decision when a new friend of mine, who owns a kayaking outfitter on Hilton Head called me and invited us to go out with a group he had going, to watch the Tuesday night fireworks on the island.  There are MANY firsts in this short little statement.

1. First time my girls have gone kayaking!  We tried once, about 3 years ago, on one of those sudden out of the blue gorgeous 80 degree days that hit after a long hard winter in WI in April--we knew it would get cold soon again, so we *tried* to take the girls kayaking!  Ok, it was actually canoing, on a gorgeous marshy lake, where you rent the canoes from a bar---it turned out our canoe had a hole in it and water was quickly seeping in.  We also *learned* that just because the air temp is 80 degrees doesn't mean the water temp is--actually, the water temp was just above freezing---considering the odds of falling out of a canoe, esp. one sinking from the start, into nearly frozen waters--we didn't think it would take long for hypothermia to set in---and like I said, this was THREE years ago, which puts my girls at ages 4 and 2.  Needless to say, we got our money back and skipped the canoe outing.
2.  Tonight was the first time I kayaked after dark.
3.  Tonight was the first time I kayaked in South Carolina.
4.  Tonight was the first time I kayaked and docked in a bed of oyster shells to watch fireworks!
Today was also the first time my girls HELD an alligator!

And today was the first time I held an alligator as well--all by myself:O  
And....today was the first time an alligator ever PEEEED on me:O

when's the last time you had a first? :)
THE END


 

2 comments:

Sugardrive said...

ew ew ew!!!! did it smell funny? like after you eat asparagus?

Our Blessed Journey said...

ewwww ewww ewww is right! Ok, I exaggerated, just slightly--the gator let loose after I handed it back to they guy, and it merely splattered onto my CLARK'S sandal--it was not full-fledged all over me, but still:D It's not easy being green you know:)