Wednesday, January 29, 2014

how the winter storm affected my neck of the woods .....

I'm from the upper midwest....Wisconsin....winter is NOT a novel concept to me......
So, before moving to coastal South Carolina, I too was one of those nay-sayers who couldn't understand why the south panics and shuts down at the mere thought of a potential of an inch or so of snow......

until we relocated to the southeast.

Two days ago my weather radio alert went off: "winter storm warning."  I literally have not heard this since living in WI, but even up north,  it probably didn't go off for winter weather, because that's the norm.  So quite frankly, it may have been the first time I heard it go off for winter weather.  I giggled less at this time...knowing a "winter warning" down here just meant at or just below freezing temps and moisture in the air.  I giggled less because I suddenly found myself VERY concerned about my hubby's 40 minute, country road/nature preserve commute....
not that he couldn't handle it...I trust his driving...and the new tires on the jeep.  He has experience....but driving on unsalted roads with locals, many of whom have NO winter driving experience....THAT scares me!

So yesterday, about 2:30....DADDY CAME HOME.  He completely surprised us and I was SO happy!  His company literally shutdown and staggered (it's a very large company) sending all of their employees home yesterday afternoon and all of today.  All of the schools shutdown.  The military bases closed.  And Tanger Outlet closed:)

I get it now, I really do....especially in this area.  Everybody knows the rule of thumb that bridges ice over first.  Well, guess what....the Lowcountry is comprised of intracoastal Atlantic waterways....which means we have bridges....EVERYWHERE!  It is impossible to go almost anywhere without crossing bridges.....and we don't have salt trucks.  Which means the roads are slick.

I've seen some news clips of Atlanta...wow, that is such a mess.  I really feel sorry for all the accident victims and children trapped in schools and on busses, etc.  And I am VERY grateful that my neck of the woods took extreme precautions, heeding the warnings, valuing people's safety first and foremost....even if it seems ridiculous to some of my northern peeps.  I truly get it now....we have little to no methods of "cleanup," coupled with very little winter driving experience (which can truly only be learned by driving in it), and probably tires that aren't of "winter" driving quality.

Well, we are enjoying our snowday together.  And, as an added bonus, we don't have any big messes to shovel, or scrape, or snow blow...no roof to clean, no driveways to salt, etc.

The also closed the bridge that goes to Hilton Head Island down....just until they can get it salted...smart choice...first accident would shut it down anyway and leave people stuck in their cars (and could damage the bridge):
http://www.wsav.com/story/24574635/bridges-to-and-from-hilton-head-island-closed 


So, here are the much-awaited photos from our version of the big Winter Storm of 2014 (along with some nostalgia of my sweet girls and their rosey cheeks and big smiles:)   (plus a little northwood's girl fun tossed in for good measure;)


Fairy Girl made a snowball and put it in the freezer...she's also starting an icicle collection:







No comments: