Thursday, January 23, 2014

new adventures in wheat-free baking

The UPS man just dropped off my goodies! Looking forward to a lifestyle change for the whole family ...baked goods and breads will be higher protein, fiber and overall nutrition content....and much lower sugar content.   Many of the recipes also call for almond butter (need to hit the store, I substituted with sunbutter, but it was sweetened, and ok, but not the same I'm sure...hitting the store) as well as, arrowroot powder and flaxseed meal, ...which, I already have in my freezer:)   Sugar is now substituded with small amounts of Agave Nectar--Light...much lower on the glycemic index than honey or sugar.  And the author recommends Celtic sea salt, as it is ground very fine.   We are retraining our tastebuds to enjoy subtle sweet...and so far, everybody's been very pleased!  (kids too:)



I made my first loaf of bread using an almond flour recipe. My report: pleasantly surprised with the outcome! I was honestly expecting a heavy quick bread (because it was that easy to make)....but it was light with a bakery bread texture! It called for almond butter, but I only had a sweetened sun butter onhand,so I'm sure it changed the flavor and color. (Not sure on the rise, it was short, but not dense ). Was fine, but definitely will pick up unsweetened almond butter. Also, was a tinge dark green on the bottom (I looked it up before we took a bite, and that is normal). So....despite the green, the girls and I all had a piece of toast with our breakfast and we were all very impressed !  



Pecan, date, apple muffins...made with almond flour, sweetened only with fruit and 2 Tbsp of agave nectar. The tops do bake faster than the middle...as long as they aren't dry, it's all good. Will try a muffin for lunch, with salad 



UPDATE: seriously, these are the BEST muffins I've ever had! 

Day one report...I am THRILLED beyond thrilled with the results!

No comments: