Monday, October 5, 2009

Giant Pumpkin Festival








These are just a few scenes from the Giant Pumpkin Festival. I also posted a few "specialty" pumpkins as I thought they looked pretty neat! When we were on a field trip today, I spoke with the naturalist who explained to me that the pumpkins are actually not injected with hormones, but with water; and because they grow only in one season, they can grow upwards of 50 pounds a day!!! WOW!! The festival hosted children's amusement park rides, food, a farmer's market, an antique tractor show, a car show, and a craft fair. The winning pumpkin this year weighed just over 1556 pounds! They also had a giant pumpkin regatta floating down the Wisconsin River, and a Giant Pumpkin Drop from a crain!!

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love pumpkin festivals!

I want to go to two this year, the big one and a smaller fall fest by our house...I know I'll drag the little ones to the smaller one eventually this month, but I don't know if I'll make the bigger one or not.

I love love love the picture of your youngest with the orange shirt and the blue tongue.