Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Lunch at the Gingerbread House





Notice, two teeth now missing. She showed some of the other patrons and workers at the Gingerbread House. One older women said she lost her two top front teeth at 6 and they didn't grown in til she was 9!

The girls and I had lunch at the Gingerbread House Monday, after our field trip. Since I've posted pictures from this place before, you'll probably guess it's a local favorite of mine. It's kind of a coffee shop meets European pastry/ soup and sandwich place with a lot of character. When we first moved to our town, this was truly a farm house--we watched the renovation take place for over two years, waiting and wondering what would take the place of the farm house--and boy was I thrilled when one day the Gingerbread House opened up for business. They've since added an ice cream shop in an outbuilding. They also have some chickens outside, which my Fairy Girl loves to visit. Further, inside, it's adorable--all original wood flooring, a fireplace--beautiful old farm tables, decorated in rustic country. And when you go upstairs there is a small quaint craft shop. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it here--it has so much character and it's only a mile from home. The only problem I have is a lunch for me and my two little girls came to $40 plus tip--not including the shopping I did upstairs. I made the decision to replace some of my old mugs and plates with some very colorful and cute pieces that I picked up last night. I have the feeling part of my desire to go there is just to enjoy the colorful dishware:) Basically I'm creating my own "cutsy cafe'" with charm and character, in the heart of my own home--ok--we'll see how long that lasts before we wind up back at the Gingerbread House. Since it's so close to home, I may use it as a night time escape once in awhile to "recharge"---bring a book, (they have cozy chairs too), order a hot cocoa and read by their fire:)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Next time I come up to visit, you *have* to take me here!

And, I think I should start checking out the little restaurants in the old farm houses in our little village, too.

Our Blessed Journey said...

it's a deal! And when we finally come down to see you guys, you better have a cutsy place in mind for us--maybe you and I can escape and let the boys handle the kids:) Guaranteed, we'll have more Gingerbread House postings if we're still here for Christmas:)