Sunday, April 21, 2013

Create Liquid Castile Soap recipe

Making Your Own Homemade Liquid Castile Soap


I love Dr. Bronner’s liquid castile soap, the only problem is that when you use as much castile soap as I do the price can add up. The price around here is about 5 dollars for one of the smaller bottles. I had heard of Kirk’s castle bar soap, so I bought it to use in the shower. I really loved it and it is super cheap too compared to other soaps. It is all natural and made with coconut oil, but it does not smell like coconut.  I found it in the regular soap aisle at Wal-Mart, less than $1.50 for 3 bars.

I had made liquid hand soap out of other bars of soap before, so I figured I could make this into liquid castile soap like Dr. Bronner’s. I grated up a bar of Kirk’s, put it in a big container, covered it with 10 cups of hot water, stirred and let it sit 24 hours.



After 24 hours I had a nice liquid soap, but very thin. I was actually a little disappointed and thought that I had watered it down too much, until I used it. It was still very sudsy and effective! You could use less water if you wanted it thicker but for me this works just fine. Here are some of the ways that we use it around our house:
Face/body wash in the shower (add baking soda for a great exfoliating wash)
Hand soap (in a regular pump bottle or about 1/4 soap to 3/4 water in a foaming dispenser)
In place of Dr. Bronner’s in my homemade shampoo (I double the amount for this)
To clean fruits and veggies from the store (to remove germs and pesticide residue if you buy conventionally grown produce)
In place of Dr. Bronner’s for cleaning (Diluted with hot water for mopping the floor, cleaning the walls, cabinets, etc.)
Bathing pets
Pest control in the garden (Drop bugs into a bucket of hot soapy water)




I really love this stuff and you can’t beat the price. You get 10 cups per bar of soap so that is almost 2 gallons for less than 2 dollars :)  Little changes like this can make a big difference in your budget and eliminating toxic chemicals from your life. It takes hardly any time at all to make, it is cheap, all natural and works wonderfully. If you can think of any other uses for this please feel free to share in the comments. Enjoy!
<3 ashley="" b="">
Homemade Liquid Castile Soap:
1. Grate 1 bar of Kirk’s castile bar soap into large pot or container.
2. Add 10 cups hot water, stir and cover.
3. Let sit 24 hours, stir.

Note added on Feb. 6th 2013 – This liquid soap seems to thicken or gel up when cold, store in a warm area of your house and it should remain runny like it should be. 
http://ashleyshomemadeadventures.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/making-your-own-homemade-liquid-castile-soap/

No comments: