Thursday, May 8, 2014

How many noreasterners does it take to help me parallel park my Sienna at the farmers' market?

the atmosphere is GREAT!   It's just some good, local, carefree fun!  

Parking's an issue.  There's really no official parking lot, since it's held on a blocked off street area of our historic district.  This translates too......I went, KNOWING I was going to have to figure out how to parallel park....our Sienna!  I failed my driver's test the first time, because I failed the parallel parking portion.  My parents got smart and had me retake the test using a small vehicle.  Happy to report that I am NOT driving illegally, I did indeed pass:)  However, today, I was attempting to parallel park (as mentioned, my first time ever with the Sienna....by the way, Toyota Siennas are on the LONG side).  I was doing fine, but unfortunately was partly on the sidewalk (no curb) as I was about to straighten her out.  But then some people came, so I had to move to get out of their way:)  (they have the right of way, you know...on side walks....I'm pretty certain it's not within my legal right to drive on the sidewalk:).  But then, they turned out to be polite northeasterner retirees, who decided to help me (really, I was doing ok on my own, this actually wound up taking a LONG time...because all FOUR of them decided to help...I appreciate the gesture, and after they were out of sight, I moved the Sienna to the position I wanted...you know, where I could get out easily and not be trapped in a tight spot:)  I'm sure it was comical for them, and that's all that matters :D

Then we arrived, not haven eaten lunch.....which means the girls were HUNGRY.....and although there are food vendors, there aren't a lot of vegetarian options (which sounds kind of lame, as we could have elected to have fresh produce for lunch, right?!)....and we made the mistake of getting mac and cheese, and dried out cornbread.  Fairy Girl didn't finish hers...(it was kind of gross, and old, and fattening, and ick). 

We did have a nice time; especially after we found a shady spot....shade is a beautiful resource in the south you know:)

We then meandered down to the river, hoping to see some dolphins.  Not today.  Thankfully it was high tide, because the effort to walk back UP the floating dock during low tide, just might have pushed me over the edge following that mac and cheese:)

Somehow I just managed to drop $50 at our farmers' market, and the ONLY produce we went home with was $3 worth of organic tomatoes.  That's kind of sad, considering it's a Farmers' market and all :(
A friend asked me to explain how that was even possible.  Here's the explanation:
purchased three servings of old, gross , fattening Mac and cheese plus one dry corn bread for $16 total .... Then we got three fresh squeezed lemonades for $12 (they were quite good!) three icecreams, and a loaf of sprouted rosemary garlic bread and fresh tomatoes for dinner;)  

I Sherry, do hereby solemnly swear, that from here on out, I ONLY buy produce,  or sprouted bread...healthy home-made or home-grown treats.....and NO more gross, icky, fattening, coldish mac and cheese and dried corn bread.
 Photo: Hoping this makes up for lunch a tad :). Spinach, kale, arugula, bell peppers, tomato, cucumber, Vidalia onions, black olives and chickpea salad .... with a side of sprouted rosemary garlic bread :D
hopefully dinner makes up for lunch a little bit:)   Doesn't this look delish?????
Spinach, kale, arugula, bell peppers, tomato, cucumber, Vidalia onions, black olives and chickpea salad .... with a side of sprouted rosemary garlic bread


No comments: