Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Field Trip and My Trip Down Memory Lane

















We had a fun day today. We went to Kenosha where I grew up to visit the Dinosaur Museum--it's free--it's small, it's perfect. The life-size exhibits were fun, but honestly didn't grab the girls' attention all that much. They did however really enjoy the interactive area in the basement--there were some arts and crafts, books, and the most fun--the large hanging magnetic puzzles--they were really neat. I'd love to put something like that up for us--where we paint the background--so it becomes art and fun!!! After, we drove over to the music store of Kenosha where I grew up to see what was going on. Emil, the owner of the shop since I first started playing 30 years ago, recently sold the shop. So I spoke with the new owner (a trumpet player I've known from playing in Kenosha community bands)--I've always been very close to Emil, so I was sad to find out he's not doing very well.

Following, per Kevin's recommendation, we had lunch at a place downtown called Keiser's---no, it's not authentic Kenosha Italian (which they are very well known for)--but they had a decent pizza there. Per some recommendations of FB friends we then headed over to a new-to-me icecream shop called Scoops---it was so darn cute in there! They also had candy and some cute easter baskets, etc. I snuck a purchase of a couple of wicker purses which the girls will receive from the Bunny this year--and received a free large bag of mini jelly beans too---bonus. So, what could be the one thing that makes an ice-cream/candy shop that much better???? When it's attached to a classic toy store!! I loved it in there---and the girls sat and played with a Thomas train display for about an hour while I chatted with the store associate.

I then drove past some memorable locations--such as the band shell, which was built my second year with the Kenosha Pops. It's set right on Lake Michigan and is beautiful! I spent 15 years with the band and have a lot of terrific memories! The band also provides a lot of wonderful free summer-time entertainment for the community of Kenosha (they easily draw 300 or more people a concert!).

It was nice being in my old neck of the woods. We all had a lot of fun. We had a great day!!

No comments: