Monday, March 1, 2010

The Ultimate Date Bars


So, this recipe was really really yummy!!! I was short a bag of dates, so I revamped the recipe a bit, and I bet it was even better than the original!! Since I know there are many nut phobs out there who don't want to see even a single nut out there touch their desserts, I'll post the original recipe as well as my own version:

-Date Filling (below) (walnuts, dates, sugar, water)
-1 cup butter, softened
-1 cup brown sugar
-1 3/4 cup flour
-1 1/2 cups quick cooking or old fashioned oats
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt

Prepare Date Filling; cool.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix butter and brown sugar in large bowl with a spoon (I used my Kitchen Aid on slow stir cycle). Stir in remaining ingredients. Press half the oat mixture in ungreased rectangular 13x9 pan. Spread with filling. Top with remaining oat mixture; press gently into filling.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until light brown. Cool 30 minutes (we tried it earlier, warm--holy moly yummy warm:)

Date Filling:
-2 packages (8 oz each) pitted dates, chopped (I replaced one bag of dates with a cup of chopped walnuts)
-1/4 cup sugar (I used 1/8 cup)
-1 1/2 cups water (I used 3/4 cup)

Mix all incredients in 2 quart saucepan. cook over low heat 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. (*in my revised version with half the dates, I let it thicken, and added the chopped walnuts at the last minute.)

No comments: