Monday, September 13, 2010

Hit The Trails in Hilton Head























We were thrilled to find out we were relocating to South Carolina----summer here will be our "tough" months--tough being, hot and humid.  I looked up the average temperatures here:
Table view of average temperatures by month
  Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
Min39.341.648.454.863.470.374.173.268.857.448.741.756.8
Average48.951.858.665.373.279.282.681.276.867.058.851.366.2
Max58.461.968.775.782.988.091.189.284.876.668.960.975.6         

 Our average ANNUAL temperature is 66.2 degrees!!  The normal high is rarely above 90 degrees during the summer; but I'm getting that this summer was an exceptionally hot summer!  And it was--it has been in the mid to upper 90s since the day we arrived.  It's finally cooling down to low 90s upper 80s during the day--and we do have wonderful breezes off the coast all the time!  You will NEVER see me complain about the heat--in fact, I did not complain about the cold in Wisconsin winters--although I was not a big fan of the snow cleanup; what I did complain about was how gray and colorless it would become for months on end!  Just for kicks, I looked up the average temperature of the coldest month here--January--take a guess!!!  48.9 degrees, the lowest being 39.3.!!!!  I can handle that!!!  Now, just for further kicks--I looked up the average temperatures from where I've spent the last 41 years.  The average annual is 48.2 degrees.  January average: 19.5 degrees; minimum temp in January 11.4 degrees---I have to disagree--I can't tell  you how often I've seen it well below zero--not including windshield! 

So, my point here is (yes, there is a point)---I won't miss winter!  Not even one bit!  AND---we can bike ride almost year round if we care to.  However, what I will miss will be the beautiful rail trails of Wisconsin--the very first rail to trail was developed in Elroy-Spart, WI.  Guess how many rail trails we have in South Carolina---ZERO!   There are almost NO off road bike paths here.  That is very disheartening, considering our hobby!  But I did realize Hilton Head has 50 miles of multi use paved trails.  So we tried it out last night (since it's the off season and a lot less crowded); and although it's not the same as the peacefulness of a rail trail, it works, and is better than none.  We road our bike to a restaurant (pictured above, with another photo showing our bike train next to the tiki lights:)  But, we got a late start heading down yesterday, and darkness was coming quickly---so we thought it best to go find our jeep (forgot to charge our headlamp).  J was VERY worried about the ride--however, the Divine quickly took care of his concerns, for we turned onto a bridge when I heard a LOUD CRACK---like a firecracker.  J asked what that was, I wasn't sure, but I said to stop incase it was a tire--and sure enough it was:)  Problem solved:D

So this next photo is just a pretty photo of a church as I enjoyed a long solitary walk back to collect the jeep--so peaceful:)








 

No comments: