Monday, September 6, 2010

Savannah and Tybee Island

We had a wonderful day today visiting historic River Street in Savannah.  I'm not sure if downtown Savannah is always this festive, but we arrived to find bands and craft vendors, and bouncy thingies for the girls, and balloon artists, glass blowers, and child street musicians, and riverboat cruises, and yummy food, and and and... I LOVE Savannah.   The very old buildings have a lot of charm and character, and are being used for all the fun and trendy restaurants and shops that adorn the river front!  I LOVE Savannah!

Following a really fun afternoon, we headed over to Tybee Island.  The large and beautiful pavilion on the beach hosted a great and rather loud (I must be in my 40s:D) variety band.  We had pizza on the beach at sunset, and listened to the crashing waves for awhile under the stars, as we enjoyed watching beach patrol kick all the people out of the water(didn't we just have a hurricane whirl past, aren't the rip tides still there?)  Of course once the beach patrol drove past, the people were right back in.  Finally I saw a convoy of beach patrol cars drive in with their bright lights and loud whistles--I'm sure that did it:O 

The evening was to end with fireworks, being shot out over the Atlantic, but we decided to avoid the crowds going off the island (plus we're not sure if our youngest is still afraid)--oh, and poor Piper had been home for about 12 hours--so we thought it was only fair to get back to him.  I don't like letting such a wonderful evening come to an end--but I know everyday can be equally as wonderful, if we choose:)  We feel very blessed!

No comments: