Monday, August 22, 2011

Birds And Butterflies Are Free to Fly Homeschool Academy: 2011-2012

A big welcome to my first and second grade students!!

"Bed in Winter" (our homeschool adaption of "Bed in Summer" by Robert Louis Stevenson)--a lesson in poetry, stanzas, rhythms, and opposites; complete with illustrations of OUR poem---sometimes, ok often times, poetry can go awry! 

In summer, I get up at day
And dress by pink and blue flowers in the bright

In winter, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by night

I have to wakeup and see
The birds still singing on the tree
Or hear the children's feet
Still going by me with stinky feet

And does it not seem easy to you
When all the sky is cloudy and pink
And I should so much like to work
To have to wake up at night?



and to the right, an artistic interpretation of "stinky" feet, personified!

Poetry and stinky feet were just the beginning of our first day of this new school year!  This week we are studying Egypt, King Tut, and the impact and importance of the Nile River on Egypt.  To kick off our week in Egypt, we created  crowns for our little Pharaohs.

And just a final tidbit of what stood out in our first day back to school...I was dictating sentences for Angel Girl to write out (and words for Fairy Girl).  For the final sentence, I asked her to create her own.  If you choose to read through her dictated sentences, and see the last one she created, you will now understand why we *HAVE* to homeschool!


No comments: