Monday, August 22, 2011

My First Experience with Kirtan!


I have never experienced Kirtan before.  In fact, I had never heard of it, until about two months ago, when a local yoga studio owner told me she might like to incorporate me on clarinet in her Kirtan band.  That hasn't really come to fruition, but I think there may be some new clarinet experiences coming my way, soon!  I'm meeting many new and like-minded people down here. A couple of days ago, a friend invited me to go to a Kirtan concert with her---like I said, this was my first and WOW was it fabulous.  

I'm sure if you're like me, you probably have no clue what the heck Kirtan (prounced keer Tan) is...here's a quick definition from Wikpedia: "Kirtan (Punjabi: ਕੀਰਤਨ, Sanskrit: "to repeat";[1] also Sankirtan[2]) is call-and-response chanting or "responsory" performed in India's devotional traditions.[3] A person performing kirtan is known as a kirtankar. Kirtan practice involves chanting hymns or mantras to the accompaniment of instruments such as the harmonium, the two-headed mrdanga or pakawaj drum, and karatal hand cymbals. It is a major practice in Vaisnava devotionalism, Sikhism, the Sant traditions, and some forms of Buddhism, as well as other religious groups."

Now, I admit, I walked in tonight, expecting very traditional Indian sounds, which I didn't think would be overly appealing to my ear (as I'm not used to that)--this was definitely incorporated--but not at all the dominant sound--accoustic guitar, drum set, some sort of keyboard---and VERY VERY upbeat--with rock rhythms--and the sanskrit chanting was so much fun--we were actually singing.  And everyone--audience, all musicians (except the guy on drum set) sat on the floor.  This was a fantastic experience.  Apparently, my first time here was with someone VERY famous in the world of Kirtan.  Girish is a very soft and wonderful person--and he really was able to draw every audience member in.  People were dancing, people were singing, a little girl was twirling--it's so hard to describe--but it started with some chanting "lessons"; started sort of meditative--then turned into this full-blown up beat (almost rock type sound) concert--and his voice is phenomenal (he apparently spent five years in a Buddhist camp, chanting for three hours a day).  Anyway, just a wonderful time tonight.  This is Girish's website: (there are soundbites on there if you are curious--I actually wound up buying 2 c/ds and his dvd so my family could experience it at home--but there is NOTHING like live.)  I'm concerned with Girish being my first experience with Kirtan, I may be "disappointed" next time around:).

Below is a photo of Girish with my friend V.

No comments: