Thursday, July 16, 2009

West Vaca: Badlands National Park



Amidst all the beautiful rock formations were a wide variety of gorgeous wild flowers--neat contrast!


Immediately after I read this sign, we had to stop because there was a bison just next to the road by our car. Now we literally saw a couple of hundred bison in the Black Hills, and several in Yellowstone as well. I noticed they just remained very calm, not moving around a whole lot--and they didn' t seem to mind the crowds. Well this particular guy in the Badlands was different--he looked very agitated. We were watching him (and being cautious as he was right by the road) along with a couple of other vehicles. He looked back and forth at all the cars, then his 2000 pound body started hopping up and down and then he took off running between the cars. It was quite a memorable sight!



Climbing became a major theme on this trip!



More wildlife!


Prong Horn





The prairie dogs let us walk right up to them.



More wildflowers--I couldn't get enough of them!


1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm glad that you didn't get run over by a bison!

Cute little prairie dogs. I think I like those better than bison...